Shimpaku Junipers are certainly the most sought after of the junipers. Prized in Japan for the delicate foliage they display.Very slow growing and hard to find this tree is well on its way to becoming a magnificent specimen.
In Japan, this tree is called "shimpaku" and thus it is often referred to in western countries as "shimpaku juniper". The shimpaku is native to Japan, the Kurile Islands and the Sahalin peninsula. Its natural habit is prostrate and it prefers rocky, well-drained soils. In its natural range, it is most often found growing near the sea. The foliage is needle like on young trees and scale like on older trees. The fruit is a small, hard, bluish berry.
Shimpaku junipers have fine qualities, especially suited to Bonsai culture. Tiny needles which can be pinched at the end of well ramified branches, producing a cloud like effect. Generally vigorous, they respond well to proper hard pruning. The red under-bark is a beautiful warm tone that can be used to highlight the jin and shari carving. Shimpaku junipers are in the top tier of Bonsai specimens for these reasons, and more.
Please let us know if you need more pictures or if you have additional questions.
- Height - 13 inches
- Spread - 10 1/2 inches
- Pot Size - 7 3/4"
How To Care:
- Lighting - full sun.
- Temperature - wide range of temperatures, will tolerate freezing
- Watering - spray the foliage with water daily during the growing season. Water when the soil is moderately dry (to a depth of 1/2 to 1 inch) but do not let the soil dry out completely
- Feeding - recommended feeding from early spring to autumn every 20-30 days using a slow-acting organic fertilizer.
Important Shipping Guidelines:
- We cannot ship to a FPO, APO, P.O. Box or to locations in Alaska, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hawaii or anywhere internationally.
- Most Shipments of Trees are released on Mondays and Tuesdays only to avoid being held in-transit over weekends.
*** We Assume you know how to care for this bonsai tree. We've been watering, fertilizing, pruning, and weeding this tree for a long time. Once this tree leaves our facility, watering, fertilizing, etc is beyond our control. If you purchase this bonsai, we assume you're a responsible person and that you know what you are purchasing. THEREFORE - The Buyer acknowledges and agrees that we makes no warranties once the Product leaves our nursery. This bonsai is sold “as is”. Sales are considered final. No refunds or exchanges will be offered in any instance. Please ask care questions prior to buying, if you are unsure.