- John Romano Bonsai Wiring Techniques (March 03, 2018)
Wiring is one of the essential skills in bonsai— It allows us to bend branches and add movement to our trees to train them towards a desired shape. It’s a technique that we all strive to master, and what better way to take a step on that journey than to learn from John Romano, Kaikou School of Bonsai teacher and local professional.
John will begin class with lecture and demonstration on the various wiring techniques that you need to know. Students will then get a chance to practice those techniques on cut branches to refine their skills. After students have had ample time to practice, they will have a chance to use their learned techniques on their own bonsai trees under John’s guidance.
Attendee Cost: $65 per student
Duration: 10am – 2pm. Please arrive a few minutes early.
Included with Workshop:
- Experienced instructor
- Free NEBG membership card*
- Refreshments & snack (water, soda, chips)
- Bonsai tools, soil, and wire to support the class
What’s NOT included:
Bonsai Tree: Specimens are available for purchase in our greenhouses if you do not already have bonsai for this workshop
Copper wire: We will not include copper wire in this workshop, but students can bring their own if they want to wire their conifers with copper.
Attendee Per Class: 10
FAQs and Comments
- What are we covering in this class?
- Review proper wiring techniques
- Practice wiring techniques on cut branches and your own bonsai
- Review proper care for your bonsai after wiring
- Evaluation of your tree’s health to determine appropriate techniques
- Depending on the health of your tree, certain techniques are used while others are avoided. John will help you determine what is appropriate.
- We are NOT repotting in this class, as it is too late in the season. Repotting is done in early spring.
Location: Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop”. It’s right behind our retail store – you won’t miss it.
Class will cover care instructions, the elements of bonsai style and design, wintering your bonsai, and more.
Upon completion of the bonsai basics workshop, participants will go home with their own beautiful bonsai, complete care instructions and the knowledge and confidence to keep it thriving.
* Note: Membership discounts applies on future purchases.