- Glen Lord Flowering Bougainvillea Workshop (June 2, 2018)
Bougainvillea is one of the queens of tropical Bonsai. They reward us with beautiful flowers that are easy to replicate if given the right treatment. Learn how to prune, pot and feed these outstanding plants. It can be a challenge to grow tropicals in New England but with a few pointers and some hands on time under your belt you can enjoy the fantastic tropical plant in your space. You'll go home with an INCREDIBLE bonsai.
You will need to purchase the tree and pot. Otherwise, all other supplies are included (river rock, moss, tools, etc.).
About your teacher: Glen has been a student and teacher of bonsai for nearly twenty years. He has worked at one of the oldest bonsai nurseries in New England as a stylist as well as an instructor. He now owns a horticultural consulting business and is in charge of consulting for the Larz Anderson Dwarf Potted Plant Collection at The Arnold Arboretum. He is an avid gardener, horticultural judge and speaker as well as past President of the Massachusetts Cactus and Succulent Society. He recently moved back to Maine and is building a farm with his partner and keeps a tropical plant greenhouse as well as a personal Bonsai collection.
Attendee Cost: $75 per student
Duration: 10am – 1pm. Please arrive a few minutes early.
Included with Workshop:
- Experienced instructor
- Refreshments & snack (water, soda, chips)
- Bonsai tools, soil, and wire to support the class
What’s NOT included:
- Bonsai Tree. Participants have preferences (small tree, large tree, indoor, low light, etc). Allowing participants to select their own tree works best. We have hundreds of pre-bonsai (starting at $9.90)
- Bonsai Pot: Same as the tree, participants have color and shape preferences. It’s not included but we have thousands of pots to choose from.
Attendee Per Class: 10 to 12.
Location: Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop”. It’s right behind our retail store – you won’t miss it.
Class will cover care instructions, the elements of bonsai style and design, wintering your bonsai, and more.
Upon completion of the bonsai basics workshop, participants will go home with their own beautiful bonsai, complete care instructions and the knowledge and confidence to keep it thriving.