- John Romano - The Magic of Shohin Bonsai Workshop (August 19, 2018)
Bonsai comes in all sizes. In Japan there are 2 and 3 people bonsai - meaning trees that 2 or 3 people are required just to pick up! And down to bean size bonsai (less than 3' in height). There is always a fascination with miniatures so mini bonsai (or 'shohin' in Japan) are attractive to many people. Shohin bonsai are those under 8" in height. There also other sub categories for even smaller sizes. These unique bonsai require specific care and training given their diminutive size. We will explore the beauty and challenges of growing mini bonsai and help you make one. Summer months are best for working with tropical trees so that is what we mainly work with, though junipers can be worked at this time also.
You will need to purchase the tree and pot. Otherwise, all other supplies are included (river rock, moss, tools, etc.).
To learn more about your instructor, John Romano, click here: https://www.nebonsai.com/kaikou-school/
Attendee Cost: $55 per student
Duration: 10am – 2pm. Please arrive a few minutes early.
Included with Workshop:
- Experienced instructor
- Refreshments & snack (water, soda, chips)
- Bonsai tools, soil, and wire to support the class
What’s NOT included:
- Bonsai Tree. Participants have preferences (small tree, large tree, indoor, low light, etc). Allowing participants to select their own tree works best. We have hundreds of pre-bonsai (starting at $9.90)
- Bonsai Pot: Same as the tree, participants have color and shape preferences. It’s not included but we have thousands of pots to choose from.
Attendee Per Class: 10 to 12.
Location: Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop”. It’s right behind our retail store – you won’t miss it.
Class will cover care instructions, the elements of bonsai style and design, wintering your bonsai, and more.
Upon completion of the bonsai basics workshop, participants will go home with their own beautiful bonsai, complete care instructions and the knowledge and confidence to keep it thriving.