- Glen Lord Root Over Rock Workshop (July 22, 2018)
Root over rock style is one of the more interesting styles in Bonsai. We try to recreate mother nature in her most irreverent way of growing plants in the harshest conditions. The biggest challenge when attempting this style is to make the composition feel natural and settled. This class will teach you just that with a strong dose of good horticulture to make your planting thrive.
You will need to purchase the tree and pot. Otherwise, all other supplies are included (river rock, moss, tools, etc.).
About your teacher: Glen has been a student and teacher of bonsai for nearly twenty years. He has worked at one of the oldest bonsai nurseries in New England as a stylist as well as an instructor. He now owns a horticultural consulting business and is in charge of consulting for the Larz Anderson Dwarf Potted Plant Collection at The Arnold Arboretum. He is an avid gardener, horticultural judge and speaker as well as past President of the Massachusetts Cactus and Succulent Society. He recently moved back to Maine and is building a farm with his partner and keeps a tropical plant greenhouse as well as a personal Bonsai collection.
Attendee Cost: $55 per student
Duration: 10am – 2pm. Please arrive a few minutes early.
Included with Workshop:
- Experienced instructor
- Refreshments & snack (water, soda, chips)
- Bonsai tools, soil, and wire to support the class
What’s NOT included:
- Bonsai Tree. Participants have preferences (small tree, large tree, indoor, low light, etc). Allowing participants to select their own tree works best. We have hundreds of pre-bonsai (starting at $9.90)
- Bonsai Pot: Same as the tree, participants have color and shape preferences. It’s not included but we have thousands of pots to choose from.
Attendee Per Class: 10 to 12.
Location: Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop”. It’s right behind our retail store – you won’t miss it.
Class will cover care instructions, the elements of bonsai style and design, wintering your bonsai, and more.
Upon completion of the bonsai basics workshop, participants will go home with their own beautiful bonsai, complete care instructions and the knowledge and confidence to keep it thriving.