Bonsai Basics Workshop (Saturday - August 26, 2023)
Have you always wanted your very own bonsai tree, but don't know where to start? Are you concerned about buying a tree without knowing how to keep it alive and happy? If so, we have the perfect workshop for you!
Bonsai Basics is an introductory, hands-on workshop, designed for people who are new to the art of bonsai. The 2 ½ Hour workshop covers the basics of bonsai, including:
- Brief history and origins of bonsai.
- Understanding the types of trees suitable for bonsai.
- The principles of bonsai design and styling.
- Basic techniques for planting, pruning, wiring, and repotting bonsai trees.
- Care and maintenance of bonsai trees, including watering, fertilizing, and pest control.
The hands-on workshop is the perfect place for beginners to demystify the art of Bonsai! Upon completing the workshop, you'll walk away with an awesome bonsai tree, but more importantly, you’ll have the confidence to care for it.
The instructor will help you select a “pre-bonsai” (a trained plant in a nursery pot), transplant, trim, prune and transform your tree. After a couple of hours, you’ll go home with an awesome Bonsai tree and a full understanding of maintenance.
All workshops are led by one of our Bonsai experts. We provide some of the happiest and healthiest Bonsai trees, and we love to share our knowledge!
What’s Included with the Workshop:
- Experienced Instructor: Jamie Prevosk
- Instruments: Tools, soil, and all other necessary instruments will be available for you to use.
Note: You are welcome to bring in nursery stock, but the instructor will decide if the tree is healthy enough for work and if the timing is right. Same applies for a Bonsai pots. You can bring one, but it must have drainage holes and we ask that you remain open to advice. We want to make the best match between tree and pot for health and aesthetics!
What's NOT Included with the Workshop:
- Bonsai Tree. We have a lot of trees for you to choose from, and they begin at $25
- Bonsai pots. Same as the tree, participants have color and shape preferences. It’s not included but we have thousands of pots to choose from, beginning at $9.90
About the Workshop & Location:
- Attendee Cost: $35 per student + the cost of your chosen tree and pot.
- Duration: 10:00 pm – 12:30 pm. If you arrive a few minutes early, you'll have more time to enjoy the nursery!
- Limited Class size: 8 students.
- Location: 914 S. Main Street, Bellingham, MA, 02019. Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop.” It’s right behind our retail store – you can’t miss it.
- Refreshments Available: We have refreshments available for sale (Soda, Water, snacks).
- Bathroom: There is a portable washroom at the facility, starting March 1st.
** All sales are final. No Refunds will be given on workshops provided by New England Bonsai Gardens.