Japanese Maple Workshop with Lou Carreiro (Sunday, March 19, 2023)
This is a great & unique opportunity that does not come along very often. The Clump Style Japanese Maple Bonsai Workshop is a hands-on event where participants learn how to create and maintain a clump style bonsai. The workshop is led by an experienced bonsai artist and is designed for beginners or intermediate-level bonsai enthusiasts.
During the workshop, participants will learn the basics of bonsai care and styling, including pruning, wiring, and shaping techniques. They will also learn how to select and pot the right soil mix for their bonsai. The focus will be on creating a clump-style bonsai, which involves planting several small trees together in a single container to create the appearance of a small grove or forest. For this workshop, the maples have already been "clumped" together.
By the end of the workshop, you will have created your own clump-style Japanese maple bonsai to take home and continue to care for.
The Clump Style Japanese Maple Bonsai Workshop is a fun and educational experience for anyone interested in bonsai and Japanese maples. It provides an opportunity to learn from an experienced instructor and create a unique and beautiful bonsai that can be enjoyed for years to come.
These maple clumps (pictured above) that will be included with this workshop.
The class will work on cutting back some of the trunks to make smaller and create some size variation. Wiring of the trunks will also be performed to help spread the trunks out to create some organization.
** This is an all-inclusive workshop with the trees, supplies and tools provided.
About the Instructor:
All workshops are led by one of our Bonsai experts. We provide some of the happiest and healthiest Bonsai trees, and we love to share our knowledge!
What’s Included with the Workshop:
- Experienced Instructor: Dr. Lou Carreiro
- Instruments: Tools, soil, and all other necessary instruments will be available for you to use.
- Bonsai Tree: The Japanese Maple Clump are currently in 1 gallon grow pots
- Bonsai Pot: We have selected Japanese glazed and unglazed shallow oval production pots. However, if you prefer a different pot, you can certainly purchase one.
What's NOT Included with the Workshop:
- Everything you need is INCLUDED
- Bonsai pots. If you prefer a handmade, Yixing, or even an Imported Tokoname container, you can purchase one for this workshop
About the Workshop & Location:
- Attendee Cost: $185 per student
- Duration: 10:00 pm – 1:00 pm. If you arrive a few minutes early, you'll have more time to enjoy the nursery!
- Limited Class size: 8 students.
- Location: 914 S. Main Street, Bellingham, MA, 02019. Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop.” It’s right behind our retail store – you can’t miss it.
- Refreshments Available: We have refreshments available for sale (Soda, Water, snacks).
- Bathroom: There is a portable washroom at the facility, starting March 1st.
** All sales are final. No Refunds will be given on workshops provided by New England Bonsai Gardens.