One-Of-A-Kind Shimpaku Tanuki
The Phoenix Graft, also known as Tanuki (or "Phoenix graft Tanuki") Shimpaku Bonsai, is a unique and creative bonsai technique that involves attaching a living Shimpaku Juniper (Juniperus chinensis 'Shimpaku') or similar bonsai species to a piece of driftwood or deadwood. This technique creates an illusion of an ancient tree growing from a natural piece of weathered wood.
This tree arrived at NEBG a few weeks ago. I don't know how old and/or when the Tanuki was created. It does not look super old, but it's pretty darn cool.
The hallmark of a Phoenix Graft or Tanuki Bonsai is the fusion of the living bonsai tree with a carefully selected piece of driftwood or deadwood. The driftwood is often chosen for its intriguing shape, texture, and weathered appearance. It is typically attached to the bonsai pot or container to give the illusion of a tree growing on rocky terrain or cliffs.
The Shimpaku Juniper is a popular choice for this technique due to its hardiness, adaptability, and attractive foliage. The Shimpaku's needle-like leaves and gnarled branches add to the illusion of an ancient and weathered tree.
To create a Phoenix Graft, the living Shimpaku Juniper is carefully grafted onto the driftwood or deadwood. The bonsai artist must ensure a secure and stable attachment while allowing the tree's roots to integrate with the driftwood, providing nutrients and support.
The integration of the living tree with the driftwood is meticulously designed to mimic the appearance of an ancient, windswept tree that has endured the elements for many years. The artist often adds artificial or natural elements like moss, lichens, or even small stones to enhance the aged and weathered effect.
Phoenix Graft or Tanuki Shimpaku Bonsai are celebrated for their unique and captivating appearance. They evoke a sense of wonder and admiration for the artistry involved in their creation.
These bonsais are often displayed as centerpieces in bonsai exhibitions and collections, where they draw attention and spark conversations.
Please ask questions prior to purchasing.
About the Tree:
- Height: 22" from Table to Top of Tree
- Spread: 16"
- Pot: 9.5" Ceramic Pot
- Tree Photographed August 31, 2023
- Ships from our Massachusetts Nursery
IMPORTANT: We Can NOT ship Junipers to California. It's a USDA State Regulation
The Tree you see is the tree you will receive.
Important Shipping Guidelines:
- We cannot ship to a FPO, APO, P.O. Box or to locations in Alaska, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hawaii or anywhere internationally.
- All Bonsai are shipped direct from the nursery and may ship separately from other items purchased via the Bonsai Outlet.
- Most Shipments of Trees are released on Mondays and Tuesdays only to avoid being held in-transit over weekends.
- If extreme weather is expected, we may delay shipping your Bonsai tree to guarantee a healthy arrival; in such a case we will contact you. We are shipping living trees and must be conscious of the temperature conditions to the delivery address, as well as, while in transit. That said, we reserve the right to hold the tree(s) to guarantee a healthy delivery. We will Hold Your Tree Until It is Safe to Ship.
*** This is an expensive Bonsai. We've likely been watering, fertilizing, pruning, and weeding this tree for a long time. Once this tree leaves our facility, watering, fertilizing, etc is beyond our control. If you buy this bonsai, we assume you're a responsible person and that you know what you are purchasing. THEREFORE - The Buyer acknowledges and agrees that NEBG makes no warranties once the Product leaves our nursery. All One-Of-A-Kind Trees are listed AND sold “as is”. Sales are considered final. No refunds or exchanges will be offered in any instance. NEBG assumes no responsibility for the health and welfare of the products after they leave our nursery. Please ask care questions prior to buying, if you are unsure.