Kishu Shimpaku Workshop with John Romano (May 13, 2023)
John is our resident shohin master and has been specializing in shohin sized trees for decades.
The 1 Gallon Kishu specimens selected for this workshop were cutting grown with heavily twisted trunks.
Take the first steps to creating yourself a gnarly looking juniper tree. Kishu are among the best junipers for bonsai, with tight delicate foliage that creates heavenly clouds almost by itself.
** This is an all-inclusive workshop with the trees, supplies and tools provided.
Here's what you can expect from John's workshop:
- Introduction to Shimpaku Junipers: Participants will learn about the characteristics and cultural requirements of Kishu trees, including light, water, and soil needs.
- Repotting and pruning techniques: Participants will learn how to properly repot Kishu bonsai trees and how to prune them to maintain their shape and size.
- Wiring techniques: Participants will learn how to use wire to shape and style Kishu bonsai trees. NOTE: You will discuss this topic, however, actual Wiring and Styling will be done later.
- Styling and design: Participants will learn how to design and create aesthetically pleasing Kishu bonsai trees. NOTE: You will discuss this topic, however, actual Wiring and Styling will be done later.
- Care and maintenance: Participants will learn how to care for red pine bonsai trees, including how to fertilize, water, and protect them from pests and disease.
Most workshops are hands-on, allowing participants to work on their own bonsai trees and receive guidance from an experienced instructor. These workshops can be a great way for bonsai enthusiasts to learn new skills, meet other bonsai enthusiasts, and improve their bonsai trees.
About the Kishu - included with your fee:
- They're approximately 5-6 years old and range in height. They're in 1-gallon nursery pots.
- They are truly raw "pre-bonsai" that have gone untouched for several years. Only the trunk was wired up to twist it.
- Each tree has great branching and understated movement.
You will leave with a healthy tree ready for the next step of styling, later in the season or next spring.
Participation Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Attendee Cost: $185 per student and Includes the Kishu Shimpaku
Duration: 9:30 am – 11:30 pm. Please arrive a few minutes early.
Included with Workshop:
- Experienced instructor (NEBG's own John Romano)
- Kishu Tree
- Bonsai Pot: We have selected Japanese glazed and unglazed shallow oval production pots. However, if you prefer a different pot, you can certainly purchase one.
- Bonsai tools, soil, and aluminum wire to support the class
What's NOT Included with the Workshop:
- Everything you need is INCLUDED
- Regarding the Bonsai pot. If you prefer a handmade, Yixing, or even an Imported Tokoname container, you can purchase one for this workshop
Attendee Per Class: 8
Location: 914 S. Main Street, Bellingham, MA 02019
Unless otherwise specified, all students should meet in the greenhouse labeled “Workshop”. It’s right behind our retail store – you won’t miss it.